Monday, October 26, 2009

erasing linux passwords also



I actually forgot my root password on a debian linux, for real! I was actually able to reset the root password on my the linux also pretty easily. I had to boot into single user mode, by way of the grub command line, add the option (see in the picture where it says press e to edit? add this onto the end)

single init=/bin/bash

apparently, it skipped loading the operating system or something, gave me a root shell in single user mode, butthen I was getting the error 'Authentication token lock busy' trying to reset the password. presumably this was because it was read only, so in the bash shell entered

mount -o remount,rw /

this made gave me read-write and then I was able to I was then able to reset the password using the passwd program like normally. wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment